MACKINAC ISLAND, MI - It’s one of the most historic hotels in Michigan and is located in one of the most historic places in the country. The Island House Hotel has just been listed as one of the top 10 historic hotels in the entire country.
The hotel, which first opened in 1852 as a beach house, is located along the water just a short walk from downtown at 6966 Main Street on Mackinac Island.
It has been ranked number 10 on USA Today’s 10 Best Historic Hotels in the U.S. list which was just announced today. USA Today says the list is generated by a panel of hotel and travel experts who nominate their top picks. Readers then vote for their favorites.
“We are absolutely thrilled and deeply honored to stand alongside such remarkable and distinguished hotels,” a statement reads on the Island House Hotel’s Facebook page. “This recognition is a testament to the rich history and exceptional experiences that these hotels offer to their guests. Here’s to the spirit of hospitality, timeless elegance, and the joy of making lasting memories.”
Of the Island House Hotel’s ranking, USA Today wrote: “Located on the south shore of a small island in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, this charming family-run hotel dates back to the Fillmore administration. Since then, the Island House Hotel has seen many updates and now welcomes guests with cozy rooms and modern amenities. However, the fact that it’s on Mackinac Island, which doesn’t allow cars, will help transport you back to a simpler time.”
USA Today’s 10 Best Historic Hotels in the U.S.:
- 9. La Fonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 8. Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa in Mobile, Alabama
- 7. Hotel del Coronado in Coronado, California
- 6. The Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 5. The Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu
- 4. The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa in Riverside, California
- 3. Grand Hotel Golf Resort & Spa in Point Clear, Alabama
- 2. The Peabody Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee
- 1. Historic Hotel Bethlehem in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
MORE FROM MLIVE: